Sunday, March 20, 2011

Step 1: Facial Scrub

I've been trying out different face washes for about 6 months now, sometimes because my face just would not stop breaking out, and sometimes because I realized the chemicals in them were actually bad for me and my trying-to-make-a-baby body. Recently I really learned how bad the chemicals in commercial products are for you (a post on that later) and decided I'd try a home remedy.

There are only 2 ingredients: honey and baking soda. I put about 4 tablespoons of honey and 4 teaspoons of baking soda in a small jar and mixed them together. This will last about 10-12 washes (I haven't totally run out yet, but I'm getting close). Here's a picture, post 1st wash (excuse the hair; it had been up all day).


To begin, my skin is not great. It's oily and acne-prone, but gets dried out easily. I have to wash it 2-3 times per day to keep from feeling greasy. I also have spots that seem to be always red. To sum up: it's a mess.

Most of this you can see from the picture. But after that first wash (which was just before bedtime on Wednesday) I noticed two things pretty quickly: my face instantly felt smooth, and the next morning I had just enough oil on my face to keep it hydrated, not the normal layer that felt like it coated my pores.

I did notice just a bit of dryness around the corners of my mouth, and this is no doubt due to the exfoliant properties of the baking soda. If I didn't use that, I'm sure I wouldn't have an issue. But, to be fair, the dryness wasn't enough that it made me reach for the lotion. In fact, I haven't used lotion on my face since I started, and this is normally a step I never skip.

Also, while I still wash my face at least twice a day, I don't feel the need to wash it more often (we'll see if that remains the case with my workouts this week).

And finally, I feel that the redness has seriously subsided. It's not totally gone, but I feel better walking out of the house without makeup.

All in all I am very happy with the results so far. I'll keep up with it, and post pictures periodically so you can see the results.

Here are some resources on honey. Of course, make sure you always do your own research as well.

Benefits of Honey

Properties of Honey

World of Honey

And here's where I got my recipe: No More Dirty Looks

2 comments:

  1. I tried this remedy after we talked about it last week, but my face was broken out so badly that I just couldn't handle it and went back to my old cleanser until I can get that under control. I'd like to try honey again, with a blank canvas so to speak, and see how that goes for me. I did like the way it made my face feel, though, so I'm looking forward to trying again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That stinks. Ever since I learned you're not supposed to use salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide products when you're trying to conceive, my face has had to adapt. I think that made the transition to honey easier.

    ReplyDelete